Love Affair with Writing

 

My love affair with history, reading and writing began when I was very young. At five, I agonised over a peasant woman scolding King Alfred for burning the cakes.at a very early age. I agonised over the story of King Alfred burning the cakes. I thought he should be seated on a throne, dressed beautiful clothes, and imagined a gold crown studded with jewels on his head.

Aged ten I wept at my image Princess Elizabeth, daughter of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, seated on the stairs outside Traitors’ Gate at the Tower of London for fear that like her mother her head would be chopped off.  she would be executed like her ill-fated mother. Later, I thrilled to Elizabeth’s famous speech which began: - I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too.

As a teenager I visualised myself in love with a dashing cavalier, who fought for King Charles I of England, and booing Oliver Cromwell, who sanctioned regicide.

My head filled with the history of old England, I always chose to read historical fiction, first children’s books; later novels which – to name a few - included Jane Eyre, The Four Musketeers, Pride and Prejudice, Georgette Hoyer’s historical romances and the Angelique series by Sergeanne Golon.

Before I could write I made up short stories. After I wrote down tales for my own entertainment. Eventually, I composed my first historical romance.

At long last, I studied creative writing. Imagination cannot be taught but the craft of writing can. I completed the Open College of the Art’s writing course, read books on how to write, went on two Writer’s Holidays, joined The Romantic Novelists’ Association, The Historical Novel Society and a local writer’s group.

Now I read quality historical fiction by authors such as Bernard Cornwall and Elizabeth Chadwick, and historical non-fiction from which I often get an idea for a novel.

The themes in my #classic#historical#romances rich in period detail have themes which 21st century readers are familiar with. For example, a hero suffering from post-traumatic syndrome before it was identified, a young lady in love with an unworthy man, a girl desperate to discover her birth parents are.

I am very grateful to those enjoy my fans and to the five-star reviews of my novels.

 

Medieval novel set in Edward II’s reign. Yvonne, Lady of Cassio. Volume Two, Grace, Lady of Cassio will be published in August 2021.

 

Early 18th century novels set in Queen Anne Stuart’s reign, 1702-1714. Far Beyond Rubies, Tangled Love, The Captain and The Countess.

 

Regency novels. False Pretences. Loosely connected series which don’t need to be read in sequence. False Pretences, Sunday’s Child, Monday’s Child, Tuesday’s Child, Wednesday’s Child, Thursday’s Child, Friday’s Child, Saturday’s Child.

 

Published by BooksWeLove.

 

Available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, BooksWeLove, Kobo, Smashwords, Walmart and other online stores.

 

The first three chapters of each novel may be read on my web site. www.rosemarymorris.co.uk

http://bwlpublishing.ca/morris-rosemary

Comments

  1. I enjoy reading all your books with the exquisitely detailed worlds you create, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Path to Novelist's Successful Publication

More Thoughts About How to Write a Novel