Viking - Alternative Names Northmen, Dark Heathens etc.

 I have a few jumbled notes in my ideas file for a novel set in Viking Britain, An Exploration by Thomas Williams He was the project curator of The British Museum Exhibition Viking Life and Legend.

It is interesting to note in the Viking Age itself "hardly anbody was called a viking; they were referred to across Europe and beyond as Danes, Dark Heathens, Dark Foreigners, Fair Foreigners, Foreign Irish, Gentiles, Northmen, Pirates, Pagans, Rus, Sycthians and Varangians, but hardly ever in Old English - as Vikings (wicings).
If I write the novel I think I would refer to Vikings as Northmen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Path to Novelist's Successful Publication

More Thoughts About How to Write a Novel

Love Affair with Writing